Steps to Successful Home Buying
The decision to purchase a home in Lexington, Denton or Thomasville, North Carolina is one that requires many important decisions, from determining what you can afford to finding the right loan.
Following these 7 steps will reduce your stress level and help you enjoy your home buying journey in Davidson County.
- Decide how much you can realistically afford to pay for your new home in Thomasville, Lexington or Denton. A general rule of thumb is a home price equal to between 2 and 3 times your annual gross income.
- Draw up a list of the features you want in your new home and then categorize them as “must have,” “would like” and “might be nice.”
- Research which Davidson County neighborhoods best meet your needs in terms of proximity to work, schools, services, day care, public transportation etc. Check out school websites crime statistics and any other factor that’s important to you. (Every listing displayed on this site has a Walk Score which shows the distance to schools, stores, amenities and more)
- Obtain a copy of your credit report and read it carefully. If there are any errors, clear them up before applying for your loan.
- Determine how large and what type of mortgage is best for your financial situation.
- Compile the financial documents you will need to apply for a loan including payroll stubs, W2s, bank statements, tax returns and investment account statements. Your loan officer may request additional documents.
- Work with an agent who really knows the Davidson County real estate market and will guide you through the entire buying process, help you avoid costly mistakes and ensure that you can move into your new home on time.
Learn everything you need to know about the home buying process in my free Davidson County Homebuyers Guide. It’s filled with information that will help you maneuver through the process like a pro.
Working with a Real Estate Expert
I often hear people tell me they think they can save commission money by buying a home on their own. Believe it or not, folks who work without an agent generally end up spending more money (and definitely more time) than those who work with a qualified real estate pro.
Why is that?
Because as a real estate agent, one aspect of my job is to track market conditions in every Davidson County, NC neighborhood. That means I study every home purchase and sale to determine what the going market price is in each community. This helps me help you submit a purchase contract with the best chance of being approved or, as a seller, set a listing price that will lead to a speedy and profitable sale.
I will save you time, money and stress by…
- Guiding you to submit a bid that’s in line with current market conditions
- Listening to your list of priorities and showing you only homes that meet your financial situation and housing needs
- Recommending trusted service providers as needed throughout the buying process
- Accompanying you on inspections and ensuring that all your concerns are addressed
- Negotiating any sale price adjustments that arise due to inspection findings
- Helping you secure a loan that’s suited to your financial parameters
- Ensuring that all paperwork is completed on time to meet your closing date